- 1). Unfasten the four screws underneath the top lip of the outboard heel with a screwdriver and detach the rubber plug from the side of the engine housing. Loosen the zinc protector inside the engine housing with a screwdriver.
- 2). Loosen the nut on the rod between the engine housing and the outboard heel with an open-end wrench. Unfasten the four nuts that secure the outboard heel to the engine housing with the open-end wrench and slide the heel away from the housing.
- 3). Unfasten the four bolts from the top of the water pump housing with the socket wrench and lift the housing off the top of the outboard heel. Slide the impeller and the metal plate over the motor shaft and remove it from the outboard motor.
- 4). Take the metal cylinder out of the water pump housing and replace it with a new metal cylinder inside the pump housing. Remove any old gasket material from the top of the outboard heel with a putty knife and clean the top of the heel and the motor shaft with a clean cloth.
- 5). Place a thin layer of marine grease on the motor shaft and the top of the outboard heel where the water pump housing sits. Place a thin layer of grease around the inside edge of the water pump housing.
- 6). Set a metal plate on the top of the outboard heel around the motor shaft with the rounded side facing up and place the rubber gasket over the top of the metal plate. Slide the new impeller over the motor shaft and set it on the top of the rubber gasket.
- 7). Slide the water pump housing over the motor shaft and carefully set it over the new impeller. Fasten the water pump housing to the top of the outboard heel with the bolts and slide the heel back onto the engine housing.
- 8). Secure the outboard heel to the engine housing with the nuts and tighten the nut on the rod between the outboard heel and the engine housing. Fasten the screws on the outboard heel and tighten the zinc protector on the housing. Set the rubber plug back in place over the zinc protector.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time